This is your 2nd place moderator here. Darth's diary was a nice plea for respectful communication among our friends. I don't think it took for more than about a day or two, unfortunately. For that reason, I'm putting this one with my thoughts on the front page.
First, let me remind everyone what the rules are:
1) No profanity
2) No insults or personal attacks on other users
3) Try to write entries that will encourage discussion. We don't discourage disagreement, just disagreement based on personal attacks and nasty comments.
4) Try to stay on topic, or at least limit yourself to a related topic within discussion threads. If you have a point that is entirely unrelated, it's easy enough to post a diary about it (we are generally pretty lax about this one, it's more of a guideline).
5) Do not try to hack your way around an established policy or try to mess with the site's configuration or settings (this one will get you banned immediately and permanently).
6) Please don't create multiple user accounts.
I've been a little lazy on #1 even though Hank has asked to flag it so we don't show up on a blocklist. Apparently a lot of you visit from work. Ok, I'll try to do a better job on that.
Obviously we don't flag for #4 and no one is doing #5 or #6. That brings us to the heart of the matter as Don Henley would say. #2 and #3.
Right now is a crazy time of year, and we all know it. Everyone's nerves are frayed and anxious to defend their candidate/party of choice. The negative and misleading campaigning tends to bleed over into the electrons and photons of our nice little website. Let's all try to be a bit more forgiving with the folks on the other side, shall we? And while I'm asking more of you, I must admit I've been falling down on my job here. I need to do a better job of walking my beat, posting open threads and promoting up-voted or thoughtful diaries.
Trying to keep up on what is a PRV these days is darn near a full time job. I'd like some input (and I'm sure my moderator brethren would as well) on what you guys think we should flag or what #2 and #3 should say. Maybe we should flesh them out a bit more. Maybe we shouldn't. I'm interested in hearing what you guys think would foster better discussion and discourse between our motley group of stand-up philosophers. And not to call anyone out in particular, but my friend Bird Dog has been using the phrase "Delusional Comment" regularly. He's absolutely correct that I do not believe that to be a violation of the rules, and I will never flag him for it. However, it's really unfortunate that we even have to go that far when disagreeing with each other. Why can't we be friends?
In other words, what is a PRV that shouldn't be. What isn't that should? Should we quit with the 24 hr suspensions and go straight off for a week? I'd like some feedback. Go nuts. Tell me I suck and am ruining the site. Just tell me what's on your mind.