• I'm fairly confident in saying that this family isn't in the running, and I don't think that Omaha PD will win the Law Enforcement Agency of the Year award, particularly since they took the child out of the home even though no crime was committed.
• Interesting title: The Poverty Line Was Designed Assuming Every Family Had a Housewife Who Was a 'Skillful Cook'
• I'm in good company, or least bigger company.
• Even though militant Islamists detonated an IED that blew a hole in the wall of the compound, one month later the State Department approved a security waiver when they executed a 1-year lease renewal. Competence!
• As currently structured, the Medicaid expansion will raises the costs of healthcare.
In 2008, Oregon initiated a limited expansion of a Medicaid program for uninsured, low-income adults, drawing names from a waiting list by lottery. This lottery created a rare opportunity to study the effects of Medicaid coverage using a randomized controlled design. Using the randomization provided by the lottery and emergency-department records from Portland-area hospitals, we study the emergency-department use of about 25,000 lottery participants over approximately 18 months after the lottery. We find that Medicaid coverage significantly increases overall emergency use by 0.41 visits per person, or 40 percent relative to an average of 1.02 visits per person in the control group. We find increases in emergency-department visits across a broad range of types of visits, conditions, and subgroups, including increases in visits for conditions that may be most readily treatable in primary care settings.
• The Air Force lied about the seriousness of a fire in B-2 stealth bomber.
• If you think it's tough being a black guy in the U.S., try Spain.
• So much for the green revolution in Germany.
Germany plans to wean itself off CO2-belching coal-fired power stations. But new figures show that coal power output in 2013 reached its highest level in more than 20 years. Researchers blame cheap CO2 emissions permits, and demand urgent reforms.
• So much for new coal-generated electricity plants in the U.S. All of the above!
• Palestinian pictorial. Cool stuff.
• The murder of a former Miss Venezuela and her husband, witnessed by her 5-year old daughter, spotlights the violent crime problem under Payaso Maduro.
• Lamar unloads on Douchebag Reid. If McConnell unloads, it's not really newsworthy, but Alexander is one of the more congenial U.S. Senators.
• Jon Stewart unloads on FoxNews.